A month after releasing Microsoft PowerToys v0.63.0, the company releases PowerToys version 0.64.0. The latest version of Microsoft PowerToys is focused on releasing new features and improvements. As part of this release cycle, Microsoft added File Locksmith and Hosts File Editor utilities to PowerToys.
The latest version of PowerToys also includes several other improvements and fixes. For a detailed list, continue reading further.
- New utility: File Locksmith allows seeing which processes are currently using the selected files.
- New utility: Hosts File Editor allows you to edit your hosts file in an Editor UI.
- Settings has a new feature for backing up / restoring the settings from a file.
- FancyZones allows you to set defaults for horizontal/vertical screens to get better intended behavior for new screens and cases where a monitor ID resets.
- PowerToys ships with Group Policy Objects settings for force disabling and enabling PowerToys utilities in organizations.
- Added a warning about deprecating Video Conference Mute in the future (v0.67).
What’s new and improved in Microsoft PowerToys 0.64.0
Always on Top
- Detect and put a window on top again if it’s no longer on top.
- Added the hexadecimal integer format.
- Added a way for users to configure default layouts for horizontal and vertical screens.
- Replaced remaning Number Boxes in FancyZones Editor with Sliders, to improve accessibility for screen readers.Fixed an issue breaking window switching shortcuts.
- Added a new utility: File Locksmith.
Group Policy Objects
- Group Policy Objects settings for force disabling and enabling PowerToys utilities.
Hosts File Editor
- Added a new utility: Hosts File Editor.
- Fixed a delay that was not being cancelled properly. Thanks @AtariDreams!
- Changed the opacity setting to the 1-100 range.
- Changed image loading to release the images in PowerToys Run main executable. This is a try to fix the “app.dark.png” missing issues received after a PowerToys update.
- Fixed the PowerToys Run hiding after the default action failed.
- Fixed the PowerToys Run allows showing after a context menu action succeeded.
- Corrected “Dutch” word to “German”.
- Added the Portuguese language accents.
- Fixed positioning of toolbar on scaled desktops.
- Improved the acrylic brush used in the menu. Thanks @niels9001!
- Added a feature to backup/restore settings to/from a file.
- Fixed an issue causing shortcuts shown in OOBE not updating to new values when the window was re-opened.
- Fixed the “Documents” folder usage in the backup/restore feature.
- Added a warning about how to install languages for OCR recognition.
- Fixed the overlay not focusing after the first activation.
- Added spaces between CJK and non-CKJ words.
Video Conference Mute
- Added a setting to hide the Video Conference Mute overlay when muted.
- Added a warning about deprecating Video Conference Mute in the future (v0.67), please check #21473 for more information.
- Added some missing files that were causing Settings and PowerRename to not function correctly on some configurations.
- Updated the .NET dependency to 6.0.10.
- Consolidated nuget packages and removed a few unused packages.
- Updated the Windows.CppRT to the latest version.
- Removed the cxxopts dependency, which was no longer used.
- Updated the cziplob dependency to 0.25.
- Updated the System.IO.Abstractions dependency.
- Turned on C++ code analysis and incrementally fixing warnings.
- Added the install method to the issue template on GitHub, since some issues seem to be related to specific installation methods.
- Automated installer hash creation in the release CI.
- Simplified use of .First() on ImageResizer.
- Improved and clarified the issues templates.
- Fixed a PTRun unit test to be more compatible with .NET 6.
How to download the latest version of Microsoft PowerToys
You can download the newest version of Microsoft PowerToys from the Microsoft Store or from the official repository on GitHub. If you already have the Microsoft PowerToys installed on your computer, you can manually update it by navigating to the Settings page.
You can also download Microsoft PowerToys version 0.64.0 by clicking either of the following official links:
Please note that the links shared above to download the latest version of Microsoft PowerToys are official links hosted by Microsoft on the GitHub servers. It is still advisable to always scan with your antivirus software once you download something from the internet. Neither the author of this post nor the site will be responsible if something goes wrong.